Friends of the Story Mansion
HOME  | CONTACT US

A Montana Treasure

The Story Mansion is one of only three living examples of city-block mansions in Montana, and the last of the three to pass into public stewardship. Located at 811 S. Willson, and situated in Bozeman's famously well-preserved Bon Ton Historic District (on the national historic register), the Story Mansion is a recognized as a Montana treasure and national landmark.

The City of Bozeman's visionary purchase of the Story Mansion recognizes the intrinsic value of this historic structure as a unique and irreplaceable marker of Bozeman area history and bears witness to the Mansion's potential contribution to economic and community development.

Mansion in 1910
Circa 1910 - Mansion and Carriage House;
Compliments of the Gallatin County Pioneer Museum.

Built in 1910, The Story Mansion in Bozeman, Montana is a landmark historic building which was recently renovated for use as a community center and public space to be enjoyed by all.

The Story Mansion was designed by Helena architect C.S. Haire, the visionary behind Helena's grand State House.

The Story Mansion's Lively History

T. Byron Story Family
Circa 1910 - T. Byron Story Family;
Compliments of the Gallatin County
Pioneer Museum.

Gold, cattle, sheep, wheat. These commodities drove the early story of the Story Mansion and the saga of its founding family. The 22-room. 9,000 square foot Story Mansion housed the boisterous T. Byron Story family in Bozeman's prestigious Southside, equidistant from Main Street and the state college campus. A son of cattle baron and pioneer entrepreneur, Nelson Story, T. Byron built his fortune during WWI, providing wool for uniforms and milling Montana wheat.


SAE Fraternity

In 1922, during a period of declining fortunes, T. B. sold the Mansion to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) fraternity. For the next eighty years, the SAE's made full use of all three floors of the Mansion, its carriage house and grounds. Thanks to the SAE's responsible stewardship, the Mansion is remarkably in good shape, considering this lively tenancy. The City of Bozeman purchased the property from the SAE's in 2003, saving the region's most historic residence from development.